Skip to main content

Silence

The beach ball skimmed along the top of the clear, warm water.
“Get that!” the chubby, red-headed boy shrieked, as he flailed his arms and splashed the water into Sandra’s face, racing for the weightless ball bobbing in the water. Sandra swirled around, her wet hair slapping her cheek, her toes lifting up from the bottom of the pool. She flopped herself back, floating into the safety of the shallow end. The summer air was still and stifling and the earsplitting screams of the children echoed in her young ears as she squinted to see where they were coming from.
Her baby sister was having a screaming contest with the neighborhood children while their mothers blabbered to each other. Sandra, a soft-spoken, mellow child felt the madness envelop her. Her muscles tensed up and she longed to be alone. Another toy flew past her face hitting the cement on the side of the pool with a loud thud.
Sandra drifted over into the deep end, squeezed her eyes shut and used her arms to force her lithe body under the water. She opened her eyes and let her arms and legs whirl to keep herself down. She succumbed to relaxation. Her heart beat thudded in her ears. Bodies moved in slow motion and sunlight danced in the water. Her thick, dark hair billowed out around her; she tried to touch it, but it was so soft it slipped through her fingers. Time stood still. The need for air was increasing. Her heart rate sped up. The joy in solitude was fast being replaced by her need to breathe. She was reluctant, and slid back up to the chaos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christen on Board

Yes, I have another post about motorists- they may just be the thing that angers me most (and I'm really not an angry person, mind you). Yesterday was beautiful so I went for a bike ride on a trail near my house. For once I went without my iPod and it was a nice change to hear nature instead of music in my ears. The trail crosses a couple of roads, one major, the other just petty little roads (who needs 'em). I come up to the road and this sign is VERY clearly posted for the drivers to see Now what part of STATE LAW do you not understand? I stood and waited with my bike for 5 cars to pass before a nice, law-abiding driver stopped for me which I promptly waved to thank them for such a nice gesture. I get if someone's just coming up to the crosswalk and the driver's a too little close for them to slam on their brakes to stop for; But when someone's just standing there waiting to cross the road for a while, stop already! That's just rude. Especially for runners....

Gymnasium Antics

My gym has the smallest parking lot. And there is nowhere to add additional spots, so there is overflow parking near the movie theater. Now, I completely understand that parking a mile away is a pain the butt when you hardly want to be there in the first place. But do people REALLY need to wait for parking spots at the gym? From the treadmill I can see the parking lot and you don't know how many accidents I see people almost getting into just from racing around to get to the other side's open spot. News flash: You're here to exercise. Walking 50 more feet won't really kill you. Unless you're Plastic Suit Guy, who apparently does NOT realize he's here to exercise.  My new speed to run on the treadmill is 6.0mph *takes a bow* but my comfortable speed to walk leisurely is at 3.8ish. I've seen PSG before, pre-plastic suit. He's wearing huge aviator sunglasses and brings a newspaper to the treadmill (every time), positions his two Voss water bottles in the...
I'm so disappointed when I go to my favorite blog and there hasn't been a post in a few days. Even more so when there hasn't been a post in 4 months *cough* Mackenzie *cough*. But then I realize, what a hypocrite! I haven't written on here in exactly 4 months. There have been a lot of stories in the news about zombie-like acts lately, and it's really quite scary! You never know who's really a monster..could be your neighbor or that creepy guy who comes in and requests you to be their server every week *gulp*. Recently I've learned of these horrible pieces of news: someone eating a man's face a dad beheading his own daughter because he wasn't happy with her lifestyle a man chopping up another man and sending his body parts to different places a woman with a flesh-eating disease after falling off a zip line the Twilight series has another movie coming out Being a 27 year old in 2012, I feel strangely as if I'm falling behind in the tech...